Dienstag, 10. September 2019

#MeToo and John Searle

Notizbuch

--

, a Year Later
Claire Newfeld

Feb 19, 2018

In March 2017, a Buzzfeed article reported that UC Berkeley’s world-famous Professor of Philosophy John Searle had been sued by Joanna Ong, a graduate student in the Philosophy department, for sexual assault over many years. After the allegations, several other women came forward, and even more students relayed stories of Professor Searle making misogynist and racist comments during lectures and in office hours. Searle’s behavior had been an “open secret” for decades.
I was in my sophomore year as a Philosophy major at Cal when that article was published. I attended my lectures over the next few days and was surprised by how few professors took the time to acknowledge the situation (of course, some professors I admire very much did).
Fast forward to February 2018. The #MeToo campaign has swept the globe, and it seems that allegations against high-profile figures in Hollywood, Washington, and other places have been coming in every other day. I haven’t heard new updates about Searle’s case since it was made public. His photo and biography are still up on the UC Berkeley Philosophy department website, and his title still reads “Willis S. and Marion Slusser Professor Emeritus of the Philosophy of Mind and Language.”
Professor John Campbell begins my Theory of Meaning lecture by asking the class how we would feel about reading a paper written by John Searle. He acknowledges that this is a difficult question to discuss and that it’s very important for him to hear what students have to say.


--

Anna Avellar
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Elena Schmitt
This axiom no longer applies in most cases that involve accusations of a sexual nature.

Kelly Green
Assuming innocence and not bothering to prove guilty applied for far too long.

Peter Manso
Kelly Green So instead it's "Hang 'em high," Mississippi style?

(buzzfeednews.com)


--

G. F.: Were you teaching classes?

John Searle: No, I was a research lecturer of Christ Church and my responsibility was to tutor part-time. I taught a maximum of six hours a week and the rest of the time I did research. That’s when I decided to do an Oxford D.Phil., which, is the equivalent of a Ph.D. I did the Oxford doctorate degree and that took me, in effect, the next three years after I got my job. So I was in Oxford for a total of seven years - three years as an undergraduate, one year as a graduate student at St. Anthony’s, and three years again at Christ Church, my old college, as a Don, a faculty member.

G. F.: Ok, what happened after you got your doctorate at Oxford?

John Searle: I had this job as a Research Lecturer at Christ Church, and I lived in college in a way that was typical of what we called “bachelor Dons”. I had no wife, I lived in college, and I took all my meals there. They didn’t pay me very much, but since I had a free place to live, I didn’t need much to live. But then, I met a woman who was a refugee from Czechoslovakia. I met her in 1956, oddly enough in Austin’s office. I met my wife, Dagmar, in Austin’s office. He introduced me to her. She had just come from Australia.

G. F.: So, Austin introduced you to your wife!

Gustavo Faigenbaum: Conversations with John Searle. p. 30

--

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen